Song of Sounds Stage 1 is aimed at FS2 Reception aged children. It covers Letters and Sounds Phases 2, 3 and 4. Stage 1 provides a full teaching programme for the reception year including...
- The first 42 GPC’s (grapheme-phoneme correspondences)
- sh ch th ng nk
- ai ee igh oa
- oo (moon) oo (book)
- ar or er
- ow oi
- air ear ure
- Learning to read and spell a range of common exception words
- Reading and spelling CVC, CVCC and CCVC, CCVCC, CCCVC and CCCVCC words
- Reading and spelling multi-syllabic words
- Alphabetical order
- Letter names
- Upper case and lower case letters
- Rigorous assessment points throughout the programme which help identify the pace of the programme and any intervention or support needed for individual pupils and helps teachers to allocate decodable reading books for pupils
Our clear sequence of progression (see below) shows which GPCs, tricky words and key skills we teach term-by-term.